9/19/2017 James Intro

What does “ saved” mean ..last Tuesday we began a study of the book of James. Feel free to join us any Tuesday evening - coffee's good, cookies are good, discussion is even better! 

To begin our study of James we took time to consider to whom James was writing and about what he was writing. James wrote to Jewish believers long before all the questions and issues that would come up as non-jews (gentiles) became believers. 

James was concerned with what "faith" in the lives of a believer ought to look like, i.e.what should faith in our lives produce?  James was not writing about "saving faith" that was a given for his readers - they were already believers. James was writing about what "being saved" ought to produce in our lives...

That led to a discussion of the three tenses of salvation: past, present and future:

The nineteenth-century English scholar, Bishop B.F. Westcott, was Regius Professor of Divinity at Cambridge University.

"On one occasion he was approached by a zealous undergraduate who asked him, 'Are you saved?' 'Ah,' said the Bishop, 'a very good question. But tell me: do you mean...?' And then he mentioned three passive participles of the Greek verb 'to save', indicating that his answer would depend on which of the three the student had in mind (the English translation is given here in italics). 'I know I have been saved,' he said; 'I believe I am being saved; and I hope by the grace of God that I shall be saved.'

'Salvation' is a huge and comprehensive word. It means 'freedom'. As the Bishop pointed out, there are three tenses of salvation: you have been set free from the penalty of sin, you are being set free from the power of sin and you will be set free from the presence of sin."

Oh, and we did get started on James 1.1 - 1.13. James begins by telling us that we ought to "count it all joy when we fall into various trials." 

Imagine that, consider all the troubles and hardships of this life to be joys... 

Chan said that God isn't in the business of making you happy, rather He is in the business of making you holy. What would it like like if you thought the primary goal of our life was to become holy?

This Tuesday we will continue with James 1.13 - 27. 

...NOTE the new location - 402 Dawson Trail, Georgetown

Recently read: "If a church wants a better pastor, It only needs to pray for the one it has."